Social Security Customer Service Issues

Archive 1

The following are issues that customers reported to GetHuman about Social Security customer service, archive #1. It includes a selection of 20 issue(s) reported January 29, 2016 onward. If you have a similar customer service issue, this page will help you find current, up-to-date answers and solutions too.
I have worked with Ms. G regarding my daughter Holly, but now there seems to be a fraud issue. I received a letter from Ltd. that made me concerned about the situation. I believe someone has been changing my mail without permission. I have the evidence to prove this wrongdoing, but I need assistance in rectifying the situation. Holly started dealing with this matter before my surgery, and due to my health issues, I have been residing in North Haven for the past 20 months against my will. The post office is investigating the fraud related to my mail. I recently received correspondence from Ltd. asking for a response, and I am seeking help in addressing this troubling situation.
Reported by GetHuman-elizagou on Friday, January 29, 2016 7:30 PM
I applied for Social Security three months before turning 65. I learned that Part B comes with a high cost but can be postponed if I'm still employed, which I am. I contacted Social Security before my birthday month and was instructed to send a letter along with my Medicare card, which I did on 1/20/[redacted]. My birthday is on 2/27/[redacted]. They imposed an additional charge on my Part B due to my earnings. It's now April, and despite reaching out a second time to confirm they received my letter, I continue to receive bills. The total bill is now $1,[redacted]. I am on the brink of losing my job, leaving me without income and facing this substantial bill. I am hoping to have the $1,[redacted] credited and be able to apply for Part B as needed in June.
Reported by GetHuman7151 on Thursday, April 7, 2016 11:33 PM
I would like to inquire if my spouse can receive my SSI benefits if we divorce. My wife falsely claimed disability to avoid working. I am 59 years old, a non-war veteran with a four-year service. Will she be able to collect any of my SSI payments if I receive disability benefits? When we divorce after 31 years of marriage, even if I am not on SSI and then later apply, would she be eligible to receive benefits? How will she be notified when I start receiving SSI or SSDI? If I remarry, will my ex-wife still receive my SSI benefits, or will my new spouse inherit them upon my death? When can I start receiving SSI, and what is the earliest age to apply? Would delaying my application result in higher payments, and if so, by how much? How much longer would I need to wait for increased SSI benefits by delaying my application?
Reported by GetHuman-trainchr on Wednesday, July 6, 2016 7:43 PM
I am in urgent need of my 6-month-old son's Social Security number. Although his card was processed, it hasn't been issued to our location yet. My wife visited the local SSA office last week, where they declined to give her the number but applied for a replacement. Today, I reached out to customer support to understand how to obtain the information. They assured me that we could get his Social Security number from our local office with the same documentation used for the renewal application. I'm currently at the local office, but they are now saying they can't provide the number. I require it for tax and insurance purposes, and with tax season approaching, this is urgent. The card is expected in 10 days, but I was under the impression I could easily get the number at the office.
Reported by GetHuman664228 on Monday, May 7, 2018 7:46 PM
I utilized all my funds to stay at a hotel on a monthly basis. From day one, the room was in a very poor condition. Although initially told there were no refunds, I agreed and didn't mind until a better room was an option. Now that a different room is available, the owner refuses to move me, citing bugs and other creatures in the current room. I am seeking assistance from an agency to address the habitability and safety of the hotel. Despite agreeing to the no refund policy, I had hoped to switch rooms once one opened up. This situation has forced me to seek external intervention. If the process of changing rooms had been straightforward, I wouldn't be reaching out. Nonetheless, facing these challenges and living in such unsanitary conditions, I feel compelled to seek help elsewhere.
Reported by GetHuman669117 on Wednesday, May 9, 2018 2:06 PM
When our son was born, the social security card was mistakenly sent to a similar address, [redacted] Forest Avenue, instead of our correct address at [redacted] Forest Avenue in Clarksburg, WV. I contacted the Social Security office, received the social security number for my son, but they were unable to re-send the card. They instructed us to visit the local SS office with his SS#, our IDs, and his hospital birth certificate. Despite having the necessary documents, the office required an official birth certificate from the State Vital Records office. After obtaining this, they now also ask for a shot record from Dr. Momen's office, a requirement that was not mentioned before. My husband has made multiple trips to correct this error and needs immediate assistance.
Reported by GetHuman704479 on Monday, May 21, 2018 4:04 PM
I was terminated by Amerigas in March [redacted] and my wages were reported under the Ticket to Work program. I faced mistreatment after a workplace accident, leading to my job loss. I am now pursuing a lawsuit for retaliation versus worker's compensation. Hello Cynthia, Just a friendly reminder to reach out to Social Security at 1-[redacted] for a Benefits Planning Query (BPQY - form #[redacted]). When speaking with the representative, please request to speak with a manager for assistance, as some representatives may not be familiar with all Social Security forms. Obtaining this information will provide us with more details about your case, including entitlement dates and medical review schedules, enabling us to better support you. If there are any challenges in locating the BPQY at the local office, the WIL in the office can assist you. Alternatively, you can refer the worker to page 13 of the [redacted] Red Book for instructions on how to generate this report. Once you receive the BPQY, please feel free to send us a copy via fax, mail, or email. Should you have any inquiries, don't hesitate to contact us! Thank You & Have a Blessed Day, DisABLEd Workers [redacted] Terrace Drive, Cedar Falls, IA [redacted] Toll Free: [redacted] | Fax: [redacted] [redacted] |
Reported by GetHuman718988 on Friday, May 25, 2018 8:16 PM
I am experiencing difficulty reaching the local office in Hemet, CA. I have been trying to contact them for two days with no luck. My monthly benefits have been reduced from $[redacted] to less than $[redacted] due to deductions for medical services I already have and Medicaid, which I do not currently use except for occasional dental visits. Upon finally speaking with a representative on the third day, I was advised to visit the office in person to address my concerns. Unfortunately, the line was very long, stretching outside the building. When I requested an appointment to discuss and appeal their decision, I was met with an abrupt attitude, and the call was disconnected when asking to speak with a supervisor. Following this, I could not reach anyone on the phone after 4 pm, and I am considering filing a formal complaint with the local seniors group about this issue.
Reported by GetHuman-ronhasti on Sunday, May 27, 2018 4:44 AM
I have been paying my Social Security tax since I was 16 years old, and I receive $[redacted] per month. However, I recently received a letter stating that my income will be reduced to $[redacted] per month. After finally speaking to a representative, I was told to come in and wait in line for assistance since they couldn't schedule an appointment. The phone lines were constantly busy, even after hours, leaving many seniors like me frustrated. The supervisor mentioned that I couldn't appeal over the phone and would need to visit in person. With such a large budget for Social Security, it's time for complaints to be addressed properly. I am open to collecting written complaints for free. Also, I am in need of a wheelchair to avoid standing all day. Thank you.
Reported by GetHuman-ronhasti on Sunday, May 27, 2018 5:16 AM
My wife will be turning 62 in 11 months, just three months before I turn 62. Although she worked minimally, she did accrue enough quarters to be eligible for Social Security. As the primary wage earner in our household, I have a question regarding our Social Security benefits. Can my wife start receiving her Social Security at 62, and then switch to a percentage of my higher benefit when I decide to retire three months later or at a later time? For example, if I wait until full retirement age, she would be entitled to 50% of my benefit. Even if I retire earlier, she would still receive a higher amount than her individual benefit at age 62. Therefore, is it possible for her to begin with her own benefit at 62 until I retire and then switch to a percentage of mine?
Reported by GetHuman767155 on Saturday, June 9, 2018 6:59 PM
I have a question regarding the Social Security benefits policy to decide the best time for my wife to begin collecting her benefits. If she opts to start receiving benefits on 1/1/19 at age 64, and she continues to work until 5/31/19, earning about $15,[redacted] for the year, which is below $17,[redacted], will there be an earnings penalty of $1 for every $3 earned? How is this penalty calculated? Should we estimate her earnings at the start of the year and inform the Social Security office, or is there a different process? I am aware her payout will be reduced due to early retirement and she will be receiving half of the spousal benefit as it is more than her SS benefit. I am already retired, started collecting benefits at 64, and will reach full retirement age (FRA) on 1/1/19 at 66. Would opting for the spousal benefit or me taking early retirement affect the potential earnings penalty for my wife?
Reported by GetHuman-s_a_andr on Friday, June 29, 2018 1:28 PM
My son recently received a letter about his survivor benefits, stating he would receive a check in May for June, which seems like only one month. He is fully dependent on me, living at home and going to school. Then, I received a letter asking me to send back the money saved for him in a [redacted] plan, which would result in penalties and taxes. I need clarity on whether he will continue to receive benefits and if the matter of returning the money has been sorted out.
Reported by GetHuman847153 on Tuesday, July 3, 2018 8:08 PM
I reside in Missouri and recently got married. I decided to change my name by dropping my middle name and adopting my maiden name as my new middle name. I completed the name change application with the social security office, but my new card did not reflect the change. When I inquired, they informed me that I could not alter my middle name, only the last name. However, upon consulting the court, they clarified that changing the middle name to the maiden name upon marriage is common and permissible. The court recommended contacting the social security office again as they had provided inaccurate information. Despite numerous attempts to rectify the situation, the office remains adamant about not allowing the change. How should I proceed in this matter?
Reported by GetHuman-stefanni on Thursday, July 26, 2018 4:58 PM
Our son Joseph Monroe Miller from Macon, GA, who is totally disabled, has a son named Joshua Casey Miller. Joshua is in Florida, returning to college at Daytona State College in Daytona Beach after a year off. We are unsure if Joshua's benefits have stopped or if they need to be restarted as he has moved. Please advise on the necessary steps to update his address and ensure his benefits continue. We can provide his social security number and father's details. Sandra Miller Mosley and J. David Mosley, his grandparents, are available for further discussion. Kindly reach us at [redacted] (home), [redacted], or [redacted]. Thank you in advance for your assistance in securing Joshua's future.
Reported by GetHuman938658 on Wednesday, August 1, 2018 4:23 PM
I'm reaching out because I believe I may have a serious issue related to my Social Security. Getting assistance from the SSA has been incredibly challenging. Here's a summary of what's been happening: I'm turning 65 on October 30 and applied for Medicare Part A on August 3, [redacted]. Shortly after, I received an email from what looked like, stating I applied for an SSN (which I didn't) to be processed in Albuquerque, NM - where I used to live but now reside in Seattle. When I tried to check my online SSN account, my login didn't work, and I got locked out. The email provided a different number (1-[redacted]) than the official SSA number, and mentioned potential calls on nights/weekends, which seemed suspicious. Researching the [redacted] number showed it's linked to a debt recovery firm, not SSA. Calling the official SSA number led to long waits with no answer. Attempting to schedule an appointment at the Seattle office was fruitless since they require calling the same unresponsive number. This situation is concerning, as it appears someone in Albuquerque may have my SSN. I'm frustrated by the lack of accessibility from the SSA. If this email is authentic, why the discrepancies in information? If not, why was it sent from a address? Please advise on how to proceed.
Reported by GetHuman962056 on Tuesday, August 7, 2018 3:25 PM
I applied for benefits in Rochelle Park, NJ over the phone after my ex passed away on 4/30/[redacted] following a 16-year marriage. Social Security erroneously sent the wrong form with my details labeled as if I were a widow, when in fact I am a divorced spouse dealing with health issues and disability. I am 78 years old, bedridden, and unable to gather necessary paperwork for my application due to past strokes. My application was denied, and I need to appeal, but I'm unsure of the process. The mistake was not mine, yet it has caused me immense stress and worry. I am in need of assistance as I cannot drive, walk, have limited funds, and lack any support. My contact information is Betty Kennedy Davis, at 10 Harvey Avenue, Rochelle Park, New Jersey [redacted]. Please reach out to me at [redacted] or stop by the SS office.
Reported by GetHuman-bettyvke on Wednesday, August 8, 2018 8:10 AM
Before I had United Health, I used straight Medicare with CO Medicaid covering my premiums and prescription costs due to my low income. When United Health took over my Medicare benefits, CO state Medicaid started paying my premiums, but now I've canceled United Health. They said Social Security would return me to my previous plan, assuming CO Medicaid would cover the premium. However, I received a letter from Social Security stating that Medicaid would no longer cover my premiums, and now $[redacted] is being deducted from my monthly disability check. This is a significant impact, and I'm struggling with the adjustment. I need to know if Medicaid can resume covering the premium, as it did before. I am willing to reapply if necessary. Please advise on how to resolve this issue. You can reach me at [redacted] in the afternoons and evenings. Thank you for your help. Regards, Diana C.
Reported by GetHuman-dianacra on Thursday, August 16, 2018 12:28 PM
I have a document outlining social security benefits for individuals leaving prison. It appears to be thorough, offering details on various phases, SSI according to Senate Bill #[redacted], how to sign up for programs, financial aid, rehabilitation, DNR, loan guarantee program, bonding options, government loans, licensing, food stamps application process, unemployment benefits, and benefits upon release including a legal overview and application factors. It mentions a plan of action with steps to follow within 10 days. This document seems informative and could be helpful for understanding available resources post-release.
Reported by GetHuman-bdemuth on Thursday, August 16, 2018 5:17 PM
After waiting on hold for 50 minutes, I finally got in touch with a representative. I needed to extend my permissions to speak for my client, but as I was attempting to bring her into a conference call, the representative abruptly ended the call for a survey. I am requesting for this call to be escalated. My client is being billed based on an income level she has never earned. Humana notified you about her Part B subsidy on 8/7, yet it remains unprocessed. Waiting for so long on hold to rectify a mistake on Social Security's part, only to be abruptly disconnected, is unacceptable. Additionally, the agency misplaced almost 18 years of employment records and wrongly informed her of SS and Medicare ineligibility. Despite these issues being resolved, we now have to address this ongoing problem.
Reported by GetHuman1042234 on Monday, August 27, 2018 4:42 PM
On August 3rd, I contacted Social Security with my brother, who has dementia, to request copies of his [redacted] benefits letter. The representative requested his social security number and other information. Since my brother gets confused, I assisted in providing the necessary details. The representative mentioned that we would receive two copies of the letter within two weeks and we provided [redacted] Demaree Road #16, Greenwood, IN [redacted] as the mailing address. However, up to now, we have not received them. I simply want to verify if the copies have been sent without disclosing his personal details in this email. Just seeking an update on the status of the mailing.
Reported by GetHuman-marraehi on Tuesday, August 28, 2018 9:16 PM

Help me with my Social Security issue

Need to call Social Security?

If you need to call Social Security customer service, now that you have the answers that you needed, click the button below. You can either call them on your phone or use our free AI-powered phone to dial for you, get a rep for you, and more.
Call Social Security
Was this page helpful?YesNeeds work
Sharing is what powers GetHuman's free customer service contact information and tools. You can help!